List:       mysql
Subject:    Re: access problem for a particular table
From:       Johan De Meersman <vegivamp () tuxera ! be>
Date:       2014-05-28 10:53:18

----- Original Message -----

You don't need to backup performance_schema or information_schema. Fix the backup \
tool.

> root has these rights:
>
> [...]

Why does the root user have such specific rights? It suggests that you use it for \
application purposes. Typically you'd set up root or another user as admin with all \
privileges on *.*; and NEVER use that for anything but administrative purposes.

> backup has these rights:
>
> [...]

As said above, no need to back up performance_schema or information_schema - they're \
dynamically generated by the MySQL server. You've already granted the necessary \
rights (well, there could be more, but you've probably got what you need) on *.*, so \
no more need for all the specifics. Get rid of them, they only confuse people looking \
at them.

> What I understood is that the usage right for root on
> performance_schema.cond_instances means "no rights".
[...]
> But the usage right remains, it does not disappear.
> How can I grant these rights to user backup ?

Well, yes and no. It does mean a user has no rights, but it is really something \
implicit that comes with the very existence of a user. Thus, it's only visible when a \
user has no other rights; and you can't revoke it short of dropping the user \
entirely.