List:       mysql
Subject:    Re: Adding a column to a huge mysql table
From:       "Singer X.J. Wang" <wang () singerwang ! com>
Date:       2012-02-17 1:33:16

If you have a Master-Master and you explicitly name all the columns in
your queries, you can do it by doing it on one master and flipping the
application and etc.

If not, look at
http://www.percona.com/doc/percona-toolkit/2.0/pt-online-schema-change.html

Singer

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 20:29, Willy Mularto <sangprabv@gmail.com> wrote:

> duplicate the table structure, add the column to the new table, import the
> records into the table. this should be faster based on my experience and
> also will not disturb your transactions :)
>

> On Feb 17, 2012, at 8:21 AM, Angela liu wrote:
>
> > Hi, Folk:
> >
> > I will need to add a column to a huge mysql table, this table is about
> 77GB, and has thousands of millions rows.
> >
> > any idea I can make this alter table faster?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Angela
>
> Willy Mularto
> F300HD+MR18DE (NLC1725)
>

> --

Catch Pythian at RMOUG and Tweet us hello @Pythian if you’re there. For
speaker details visit bit .ly /pythianRMOUG12