List:       mysql
Subject:    Re: Granting access rights to a user
From:       Tim Johnson <tim () johnsons-web ! com>
Date:       2010-11-18 23:54:07

* Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> [101118 12:58]:
> * Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> [101118 11:05]:
> > using
> > mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.45, for redhat-linux-gnu
> >
> > I have root access to the mysql command line.
> >
> > I need to grant access to user 'username' for all databases
> > except for the mysql database for both onsite (cgi script) and
> > remote access.
> >
> > What is the syntax?
>  here is what I did to solve this:
>  As root I issued from the mysql DB:
>  SHOW GRANTS FOR username@'%';
>  Then making note of the stored grant commands
>  issued
>  GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `dbname`.* TO 'username'@'%' WITH GRANT
>  OPTION
>  for which tables I need access for 'username'.
  michael dykman points out (OTL) that it is not a good idea to give
  a user a grant option

  The syntax for removing the grant option is:
  REVOKE GRANT OPTION ON databasename.* FROM 'username'@'%';

  at least that is what I deduce from docs and
  `show grants for user;'
  displays user privileges without the grant option.
  :) I'm cleaning up after someone else.
  cheers
--
Tim