List:       mysql
Subject:    Re: uninstall/reinstall
From:       George Larson <george.g.larson () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-10-29 11:05:07

We're talking about a Windows machine, right?  I don't have any of
those these days but it sounds to me like it didn't thoroughly
uninstall.

If that much is correct, I'd first be suspicious of junk left in the
registry or data directories.  Even if it meant I had to install it
again, I'd use a separate uninstaller.  Uninstallers are usually a
little more aggressive about getting to the registry and data
directories and stuff of that nature.  The one I used to use is free
and, in my experience, quite good.
Revo Uninstaller [
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html  ]

If that doesn't do it, then I would try cleaning out the registry.
Proceed with all due caution because this potentially can create a
number of other other problems.  In fact, some people are decidedly
against the use of any utility which claims to clean your registry.
So I'm just telling you how I used to roll, in my Windows heyday.  My
preferred tool for this was also free and, in my experience, quite
good.
CCleaner [  http://www.piriform.com/download  ]

Good luck!