List:       mysql
Subject:    RE: Moving Data between Tables
From:       "Kebbel, John" <John.Kebbel () Indian-river ! k12 ! fl ! us>
Date:       2007-05-31 17:56:32

"I hope you're not about to try this for the first time on your
production data :-) "

I dumped the lockers table before beginning my experiments. If I had trashed lockers2 \
(my experimental file) in the process, I would have truncated it and re-inserted the \
1492 records from my batch file.

"It's not quite right. "

You're correct. I tried my UPDATE/implicit JOIN query shortly after posting my email. \
I expected the query to fail, which it did. Not knowing how long it would be before \
someone responded, I went ahead and solved my problem with a PHP script. It was nice \
that the problem was solve-able with PHP, but it was frustrating to write 20 lines of \
PHP because I didn't know how to write the 1 line of MySQL that would have solved my \
problem.

"update foo
	inner join bar on ...
set a = b, c = d..."

I run a backup of the database and associated PHP files every few nights and then \
carry a copy of the backup home to expand the PHP and incorporate the new things I \
learn about MySQL into my table structures or into batch files. You can be assured \
I'll be spending time with our old friends foo and bar and this update syntax between \
now and Monday.

Thanks again, Baron