List:       mysql
Subject:    Re: CVS-Like System For Database Changes
From:       "Michael Dykman" <mdykman () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-03-30 22:04:42

We keep all of the schema (one file per table) in SVN (subversion)
with a directory to represent each database.  As the schema evolves,
we have had no trouble tracking changes through resource history and
are able to extract diffs on every commited change.  It works like a
charm and would proably work equally as well with CVS.

 - michael

On 3/30/07, Tim Gustafson <tim@santacruzcomputers.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm just getting in to using CVS to track changes to my source code for PHP
> projects that I'm working on, and it's exactly what my organization needed.
>
> However, there does not appear to be a way to track changes to mySQL
> databases in the same way.  Basically, as the structure of tables are
> changed to meet the requirements of new features, I'd like a way to be able
> to record those changes (both structural table changes and also "default
> table data" such as table of states or zip codes or whatever) in a CVS-type
> system (preferably integrated with CVS directly) so that when a customer
> uses CVS to get the newest version of the code for their project, they can
> also get (and automatically apply) all changes to their database for the new
> version.
>
> Does such a system exist?  How do other people cope with these types of
> updates?
>
> Thanks for any guidance!
>
> Tim Gustafson
> (831) 425-4522 x 100
> (831) 621-6299 Fax
>

> --

 - michael dykman
 - mdykman@gmail.com

 - All models are wrong.  Some models are useful.