List:       mysql
Subject:    Re: MSSQL NoLock vs MySQL NoLock
From:       Dan Nelson <dnelson () allantgroup ! com>
Date:       2006-10-31 16:35:45

In the last episode (Oct 31), Ow Mun Heng said:
> Just wanted to post this here to see if anyone knows the difference.
>
> In MSSQL, there is a hint which can be used to ask the DB to not lock
> the tables during queries and then to read un-commited/dirty data.
> This command is like
>
> select count(*) from MyTable nolock
>
> in MySQL, I found that I can do the same thing with the same syntax.
> Having read through this post in the forum,
> http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?60,81970,82201#msg-82201
>
> I'm just curious to know if anyone knows that they are one and the same.

I don't see anything in that thread indicating that MySQL supports a
"nolock" keyword.  The 2nd post says to run a

  set transaction isolation level READ UNCOMMITTED;

statement before your query, which will put your session in a state
similar to MSSQL's nolock mode.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com