List:       mysql
Subject:    use multiple CPUs?
From:       Chris Kantarjiev <cak+gmane () dimebank ! com>
Date:       2006-10-31 15:59:49

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I can't seem to track down all the
pieces...

I just installed mysql (4.1.21) on a multi-cpu opteron system running fedora
core. I used the binary distribution,

mysql-standard-4.1.21-unknown-linux-gnu-x86_64-glibc23

instead of compiling it myself as I've done on other platforms. This is my first
time running mysql on linux, so I'm still figuring things out.

Anyway, I can't tell what thread library, etc, is in use in this compiled
binary. I want to make sure that mysqld will use both CPUs when appropriate - in
environment variable in rc.conf

PTHREAD_CONCURRENCY=2           # use both CPUs in mysqld!
export PTHREAD_CONCURRENCY

in order to make this happen - and I only found that by accident, more or less.

Do I have to do something similar with this installation? I haven't really
pushed it hard enough to tell if it will try to use both CPUs or not (always a
tricky thing).

Thanks. I really wish this (libraries in use, how to run on multi-cpu machines)
was better documented!

Best,
chris