List:       mysql
Subject:    Re: SQL Question: alternative to crazy left joins?
From:       eth1 <public () destratify ! com>
Date:       2006-03-29 17:18:04

Thanks Shawn,

Believe you me, I share your reaction to this architecture...I had to spend
2 hours coding a ruby script to get the data into the kludgy form needed for
the data import (though I do find that thing kind of fun...but it's not the
best use of my time on the job).  Fortunately the data limit doesn't seem to
be imposed by the apps underlying db schema, only by the importing process,
as contacts can be associated with an unlimited number of donations in the
program but only 10 donations can be imported at a time.  Very few database
apps I've used seem to be free from at least a few architectural or
interface flaws such as this one, and so often it seems one needs to reach a
compromise in order to settle on a reasonably priced piece of software with
an intuitive, powerful interface and decent engineering.  Still, though, I
wonder if there's way to solve this problem using straight SQL.

Ethan