List:       mysql
Subject:    RE: error 1016 : cant open ibd file even though it exists
From:       mysql () karsites ! net
Date:       2006-02-28 7:51:59

Still a mystery about your missing InnoDB database files
Rithish.

I seem to remember there is an option that will allow you to
store InnoDB files in their own seperate directory safely,
and not in the /var/lib/mysql default directory.

One of the many things I like about MyISAM tables is that
each database is kept in its own subdirectory, whereas the
default for InnoDB databases seems to be mixed in with the
mysql log files. This gives me a uneasy feeling, especially
as I delete the log files when backing up mysql databases.

The moral of this post must certainly be something like:

"As the data stored in a company's databases is vital to the
operation of the company, when it comes to the integrity and
safety of your company's databases, you cannot be too
paranoid. Make regular checks and backups of your databases,
implementing a staged backup policy, so that whatever
happens, you as the DBA, are fully covered for all possible
circumstances."

Which is obviously, thank God, what you have done Rithish.

Kind Regards

Keith

In practice they are not.