List:       mysql
Subject:    Re: New to MySQL on Linux
From:       "Joshua J. Kugler" <jkugler () bigfoot ! com>
Date:       2005-02-12 6:55:25

On Friday 11 February 2005 09:15, Terry Riley said something like:
> Having inherited an elderly PIII/500MHz box with an 8Gb SCSI disk,
> that had an apparently unusable XP SP2 OS on it, I decided to wipe
> the disk and install my first Linux instead, using an ancient RedHat
> 7.3 distribution.

First suggestion: get something recent: Suse 9.2, Mandrake 10.1, Fedora
Core 3, the latest Debian.  A distro that old will have major security
(and probably usability issues).

> Now the question: If I'm only using this as a database (no
> development) on RH7.3, which is the preferred download? I am confused
> by the plethora of options available for Linux. Just need something
> that is relatively simple to install (either 4.1.9 or 5.0.x).

I would doubt the current MySQL RPM's would support something as old as
RH 7.3.  If you install something recent, there will be recent versions
of MySQL (Mandrake even has 5.0 in the contrib section, I would assume
Fedora would too.

You will have to intstall the server portion, and probably the client
portion.  You then can use the MySQL GUI tools to admin the box from a
Windows machine.

Using something like Mandrake or Fedora, their installer tools will
resolve all the dependencies for you.

Hope that gets you started a little.  If you need more detail, feel free
to ask.

--
Joshua J. Kugler -- Fairbanks, Alaska -- ICQ#:13706295
Every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess, in heaven, on earth, and