List:       mysql
Subject:    Re: upgrade from mysql 3.23 to 4.1
From:       Greg Macek <it-guy () mrichi ! com>
Date:       2004-11-30 22:44:42

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 11:50 -0600, Jeff Smelser wrote:
> On Monday 29 November 2004 11:35 pm, Greg Macek wrote:
> > I was thinking about this as well, but was hoping to minimize the amount
> > of work I would have to do. However, if this makes the most sense for
> > upgrading, perhaps this is what I'll do.
>
> Actually, I think you will be minimizing going the 4.0 route. These major
> upgrades are no small tasks anyway.
>
> Jeff

OK, sounds like what I should do is the following:

* Upgrade current mysql install (3.23.49) to latest stable 4.0 series
(4.0.22 according to the website)
* Test out all applications and make sure everything is working as
expected.
* Test new features in 4.0.x vs. 3.23.x
* After sufficient time to test, upgrade to latest stable 4.1.x
version.

I think I can make this scenario work. :) Thanks all for the direction.
Otherwise, I may have run into issues doing the huge jump.

Greg