List:       mysql
Subject:    Dumping MySQL result set to a spreadsheet
From:       "Joshua Beall" <jbeall () heraldic ! us>
Date:       2004-02-29 22:45:28

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone can point me to a utility that will let me dump
the
result of a MySQL query to a file I can open in MS Excel or (preferably)
OpenOffice.org Calc.

phpMyAdmin lets you do this if you want to dump a "SELECT * FROM
but if I want to fine tune it I cannot (unless I am missing something)

MySQL CC lets me save the result of a query to a test file "right
click->save results", but this format does not quite conform to either
Excel
or Calc's text format.  I could fix it by hand, but before I would do
that,
I think I would write a PHP script that would generate the right output.

But before I spend any time working on doing that, I am wondering if
anyone
knows of a way to do this already?

I am running MySQL 4.0.12-standard on Mandrake 9.2 on the server, and my
workstation is an XP Pro box.  I use MySQL CC 0.9.1-beta and phpMyAdmin
2.5.0, but am completely willing to upgrade more recent versions of
either
of these tools, or try a new one.

Thanks for any feedback!

Sincerely,
  -Josh

p.s. How do I use my newsreader to post to these mailing lists?  I see
that news.gmane.org seems to carry the mysql lists, but it would not let
me post, telling me (even after I was subscribed to the list with the
same email address I use in my newsreader):

Outlook Express could not post your message.  Subject 'Dumping MySQL
result set to a spreadsheet', Account: 'news.gmane.org', Server:
'news.gmane.org', Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '441 You are not
allowed to approve postings', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error:
441, Error Number: 0x800CCCA9