List:       mysql
Subject:    TCP Wrappers in 3.23.58
From:       "Alan W. Rateliff, II" <lists () rateliff ! net>
Date:       2004-01-31 21:11:04

Recently I became aware that MySQL 3.23.58 on my Solaris 8/x86 box was
ignoring my /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny files and permitting
unrestricted connection access to my MySQL daemon.

I use entries such as "mysqld: 127.0.0.1" and "mysqld: ALL" in hosts.allow
and hosts.deny, respectively.

After attempting to configure with --with-libwrap=/path/to/tcp_wrappers, I
would get a failure with make.  I found an article [1] which presents an
updated tcpd.h file to use instead of the one native with
tcp_wrappers_7.6_ipv6 which I have been using.

Now configure recognizes and uses tcpd.h, but it seems that, unless I've
looked in the wrong places, sql/mysqld.cc doesn't include wrapper checks
unless HAVE_LIBWRAP is defined at compile time, and in my case it is not.

Has anyone else been successful including wrapper support with tcpd.h and
libwrap.a from the tcp_wrappers compiled source?

[1] http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/blfs-dev/2002-December/001770.html

--
       Alan W. Rateliff, II        :       RATELIFF.NET
 Independent Technology Consultant :    alan2@rateliff.net