List:       mysql
Subject:    RE: Advise on High Availability configuration
From:       "Steven Roussey" <sroussey () network54 ! com>
Date:       2004-01-30 23:37:28

I am wary of something so 'do it yourself'. Have you looked at ReHat's
clustering solution?

http://www.redhat.com/software/rha/cluster/
http://www.redhat.com/software/rha/cluster/manager/

I don't think it has any issue with InnoDB, key buffers, etc.

I believe this solution works best for failover situations. Also if you have
machine A doing A-type work and B doing B-type work, then if one goes down
then the other will do both A-type and B-type work until the other machine
comes back up. I think if both A-type work and B-type work are both MySQL,
then you may have to use different ports for connections, use
skip-name-resolve (and setting the name of error files, binlog files, etc)
in my.cnf to eliminate issues with moving between machines.

Also there is Veritas Cluster Server which has a MySQL module.

Emic has load balancing as well as failover, offering these items:
  i) online backup capability
 ii) dynamic load balancing
iii) fault management with fast failovers
 iv) high availability, and
  v) performance scalability with each added server node
 vi) does not require shared SCSI raid array

http://www.emicnetworks.com/
http://www.emicnetworks.com/products/mysql.html

Lastly, there is MySQL which bought a company to add clustering themselves:

http://www.mysql.com/press/release_2003_30.html

I have not used any, though I am evaluating all at the moment.

-steve-