List:       mysql
Subject:    Access Denied to a Newbie...
From:       "Ola Ogunneye" <oogunney () adventisthealthcare ! com>
Date:       2003-06-30 17:26:54

I have tried installing MySql on Apache 2.0.46 and PHP latest version. I actually \
thought that my installation was okay, I was even able to use PHPMYADMIN to create \
another user. I basically created a user with my name and gave it all the same rights \
as the root user.

Somehow, each time I create a password for the root user@localhost, I start getting \
access denied for root user@localhost 127.0.0.1  And then I cannot get into the \
database anymore.

I also should note that when I use phpmyadmin and look at databases, I see the mysql \
database but when I look at the privileges of mysql server, I always see 2 root \
users,

one is at localhost and

the other is at  %.

If you all understand what I mean.

I am running all these on win2000 Advanced Server with active directory.

I also understand that I need to password protect my database in other to protect it. \
I try assigning password with the password section that follows all the GRANTS.

The first option says  NO PASSWORD

and the second option says PASSWORD and I had to retype the password for \
confirmation.

Is there something that I have not done properly.

Thanks in advance...