List:       mysql
Subject:    Insert fails with C api
From:       John Griffin <jpg () cvs ! agilent ! com>
Date:       2003-04-30 21:21:29

Hello,

Am writing some initial C test code on Linux install of MySQL max 4.0.12.

After successfully executing:

mysql_init(NULL);
mysql_real_connect(<appropriate args>);

Both with no errors.

I set up a character scaler with the Insert command like:

"insert into <tablename> (column_name1, column_name2, ...)
values ('column1_value', 'column2_value', ...)"

Then I execute:
mysql_real_query(db_conn,char_scaler,(long)strlen(char_scaler));

I get mysql error:

Insert into <tablename> failed.
Error 2006 (MySQL server has gone away)

However I can take the char_scaler value (which is the actual 'insert'
statement) from gdb and execute it manually with a terminal version of mysql
running against the appropriate database and all is well and the row gets
inserted.

I don't have a clue as to what 'MySQL server has gone away' error means, nor
what I am doing wrong in the C code.

Any clues??

Thanks,
jpg