List:       mysql
Subject:    Re: about hostnames after setup of MySQL
From:       Jim Dickenson <dickenson () cfmc ! com>
Date:       2002-09-30 17:09:31

On 9/30/2002 12:14 AM, "trogers@zeno.math.fsu.edu"
<trogers@zeno.math.fsu.edu> wrote:

> Mac OS XS 10.2
>
> when you install the OS you have the oppt'y to put in a machine name
> (not the AppleTalk, Sharing name).
>
> i almost always put in a name.  that name (mbase), it is also my
> default web host; that name also shows up at my terminal prompt
> (instead of the usual "localhost").
>
> if i look under Machines in NetInfoMgr., it will only show "localhost",
> but fine, everything works fine.

This section of NetInfo Manager is like the hosts file found in many other
Unix flavors. It is used by DNS to find the IP address of a given host. If
you want to add mbase you can. You can add any entry that you would normally
add to the /etc/hosts file.

> however, when i setup  MySQL, if i select browse, using phpMyAdmin, on
> the mysql db, user table, (see link), i can see localhost and mbase
> once each for each instance.
> while i believe this isn't hurting anything, i'd like to understand it
> and i'd also like to know if some of them can be deleted (using the the
> 'delete' link shown)?
> that is, how they got created [why]?  and are any redundant?

I am guessing that when the database was setup the software uses the
hostname command to find the name of your system and adds an entry for this,
as well as localhost. From a terminal prompt you can use the hostname
command to see what the hostname has been set to. The hostname for an OS X
system is set in the file /etc/hostconfig. As to if you need both entries,
this depends on how you connect to the database. If you are connecting from
localhost (127.0.0.1) only then you do not need the other entries. If you
are going to connect from the IP address your system has, then you will need
the other entry.

--
Jim Dickenson
mailto:dickenson@cfmc.com