List:       mysql
Subject:    Re: Q about mysql_install_db under FreeBSD ports
From:       Atle Veka <atlev () mail ! flyingcroc ! net>
Date:       2001-10-31 23:48:33

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Oct 31), Atle Veka said:
> > Is there any good reason for ``mysql_install_db'' to use the -s
> > option to hostname instead of using FQDN? Every time I install mysql
> > 3.23 out of ports, it fails running that script and I have to edit it
> > manually and remove the -s option.
> >
> > # grep "/bin/hostname" work/mysql-3.23.36/scripts/mysql_install_db
> > hostname=`/bin/hostname -s`                # Install this too in the user
> > table
>
> What part of the script fails?  Our /bin/hostname supports the -s
> option.  The reason is so you don't have to type the fqdn of the
> hostname just to look at a logfile.

Dan,

The hostname binary doesn't fail, and yes supports the -s switch. Problem
is that something tries to look up what ``hostname -s'' returns, which it
fails at. I would much rather have the FQDN in the mysql privilege system
:)

## snip
Sorry, the host 'ctrd3' could not be looked up.
Please configure the 'hostname' command to return a correct hostname.
If you want to solve this at a later stage, restart this script with
the --force option
*** Error code 1
## /snip

Yes, I could solve this problem by changing my resolv.conf, but I
don't think really that fix should be necessary :)

Atle