List:       mysql
Subject:    Re: Can you use a Unix MySql db file on Windows?
From:       Paul DuBois <paul () snake ! net>
Date:       2001-10-31 23:32:23

At 6:59 PM -0600 10/30/01, Ryan Winterbourne wrote:
>I was wondering if there is a way to download the MySql database
>hosted on a UNix machine running Solaris, to my Windows computer and
>be able to view and modify it from there? The Solaris version has
>.ISD and .ISM files wheras Windows has .MYD and .MYI files. Any help
>would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ISAM tables (.ISD/.ISM) are machine dependent, so you cannot move them
directly to Windows and use them there.

MyISAM tables (.MYD/.MYI) are machine independent.  If your tables were
MyISAM tables, you'd be able to do what you want.

You can use mysqldump to dump the tables to a text file, then move that
file to your Windows box and recreate them there.

On Solaris:

% mysqldump database tbl1 tbl2 ... > dump.txt

On Windows:

C\:> mysql database < dump.txt