List:       mysap-linux-general
Subject:    RE: VMware and HA solutions
From:       Marco Wiese <mwiese () beit ! de>
Date:       2008-03-10 11:10:20

Hi,

you're right, if your ESX hardware gets in trouble and dies, the guest
systems are transferred to the remaining hosts. But you have definitely a
downtime, because in any case, HA will shutdown/power down the VM guests.
Just have a try (if you have an ESX test-system) and remove the ethernet
cable of the console interface. Your guests will be halted, if you don't
have configred anything else (default). The other alternative, ESX hosts
dies, is just the same. The hosts has no time to move the guest systems,
because the host is already down and unable to act.

In fact: If you talk about HA, you talk about a minimum of downtime! No
matter if the ESX hosts is alive but isolated or ESX host freezes/dies.
You can't avoid the possibility of a host failure - ESX or not. A real
hardware can also get into trouble - so what. Thats the risk of IT! :-))

But with HA, you have the advantage of "high availability". Where other
"real" hardware systems are still down (for long time), your virtual
machine is already up and running within some minutes after hardware
failure!

Regards
Marco