List:       mysap-linux-general
Subject:    Antwort: Kernel 2.4.18-64GB-SMP
From:       "Dietmar Stein" <DStein () phoenixcontact ! com>
Date:       2002-10-18 5:57:37

Hi

We have a couple of machines running that kernel, serving some SAP systems
and some standalone Oracle databases and encountered any problems at all.
The problem you are describing, refers to a hardware problem, mostly.

What does /var/log/messages and /var/log/warn say. If the machine hangs
while you are entering commands which have to be loaded from disk (like top
and some others) I think there is a problem with you disk or disk
controller.

Does the disk light flashing while you are executing some commands (I know,
it is async I/O normally, but if there is no load, the machine will grep it
from disk immediately)? Is there any swap or is swap space just to small?

Regards, Dietmar

p.s: you can adress me directly in German, if you want to

                                                                                      \

                      Schneider Armin                                                 \

                      AII/Pforzheim                     An:      \
                "'linux.general@listserv.sap.com'" <linux.general@listserv.sap.com>   \

                      <Armin.Schneider@aiinform         Kopie:                        \

                      atics.com>                        Thema:   Kernel \
                2.4.18-64GB-SMP                                                       \

                      Gesendet von:                                                   \

                      linux.general-admin@lists                                       \

                      erv.sap.com                                                     \

                                                                                      \

                                                                                      \

                      16/10/02 13:49                                                  \

                                                                                      \

                                                                                      \

Hi,

we just installed a Central Instance (4.6 C - Kernel 4.6D 1293) on Linux
(SUSE SLES) running Kernel 2.4.18-64GB-SMP.
The database resides on a HP-UX machine.
It seems we have a problem with this Linux system. (Not the SAP part ....)
If you do ls -l or top or whatever you want - sometime the system hangs for
some minutes without
doing anything...

Are there any known problems with this kernel ?
What can we do to analyze this behavior ?

thanks

Armin