List:       myfaces-user
Subject:    Re: is i18n messages suppose to be html escaped?
From:       Mike Kienenberger <mkienenb () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-10-20 15:00:10

I don't know about the escaping, but "#(msg.foo} is a shortcut for
outputText" is only true functionally, and then only in the generic
sense that both will put text on the page.  Ie, #{msg.foo} will
evaluate to a literal piece of text, but it is not the same thing as
using an outputText component.

It would be the same kind of thing as saying that
"System.error.println(foo)" is a shortcut to "log.debug(foo)"

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 5:08 AM, Ted <r6squeegee@gmail.com> wrote:
> oh and in addition to the inconsistency between the 2 example strings, I
> just checked, to the best of my knowledge #{msg.foo} is a short cut for
> outputText tag,
>
> The outputText tag, according to the jsf javadocs, says it is "true" by
> default.
>
> So, if that's true, shouldn't " be escaped to &quot; by default? or are "
> special for some reason?
>
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 8:02 PM, Ted <r6squeegee@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> thanks, but I posted 2 strings, one was escaped while the other was not.
>> Shouldn't it at least consistently escape or not escape?
>>

>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Kito Mann <kito.mann@virtua.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Ted,
>>>
>>> The strings will only be escaped if the component you're using escapes the
>>> text. If you're just embedding the expression in the page, it's not going
>>> be escaped, but you can use <h:outputText> -- this allows you to control
>>> whether or not you want the text escaped.
>>> ---
>>> Kito D. Mann | twitter: kito99 | Author, JSF in Action
>>> Virtua, Inc. | http://www.virtua.com | JSF/Java EE training and
>>> consulting
>>> http://www.JSFCentral.com - JavaServer Faces FAQ, news, and info |
>>> twitter: