List:       myfaces-user
Subject:    Re: modalDialog scrolls endlessly on page
From:       Werner Punz <werpu () gmx ! at>
Date:       2007-02-01 7:56:37

Joshua Pheneger schrieb:
> I believe I have verified that this is a layering issue. I create two modal dialogs \
> in an identical fashion and access them in the following way:
> Page contains commandLink1 to first modalDialog1.
> modalDialog1 contains a commandLink2 to modalDialog2.
>
> Clicking on commandLink1 will cause modalDialog1 to appear.  I am unable to select \
> any text behind the dialog. Clicking on commandLink2 (from within modalDialog1) \
> will cause modalDialog2 to appear on top of modalDialog1.
> I am able to select the text within modalDialog1 while modalDialog2 is visible.  At \
> this point, I am unable to type into the text field in modalDialog2 (h:inputText \
> component).  I am able to click on the commandButton in modalDialog1 and close \
> modalDialog1 while modalDialog2 is still open.  Once modalDialog1 is closed \
> modalDialog2's text field is now editable.
> Regards,
> Joshua Pheneger

Yes this is a layering issue indeed, this has to be fixed on the dojo
side, I have never used stacked dialogs that way, sorry to say that,
anyway you might get a workaround a different way, hide the first dialog
before displaying the second then the stacking issue should dissapear,
due to the way the dialog behaves.

The dialogs work the following way:
Push a div over everything to basically grey out the entire area
Push the dialog div on top of the greying div. To display the dialog.
That is also the reason why forms do not work outside of dialogs.
The code has to push the dialog div on the beginning or end of the body
definitions because outside forms can interfere with position absolute
on some browsers, and the logical choice position fixed does not work at
all on ie6!

Also there are floating frames in the dojo code (I think they already
are componentized, check the dojo subdir of the sandbox)
To my knowledge they also can be made modal, so you might get to the
desired results with them.

Werner