List:       myfaces-user
Subject:    Using VariableResolver or ValueBinding in NonFacesRequestServlet
From:       "Hubert Rabago" <hrabago () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-02-28 21:52:12

I'm working on a servlet based on the code in NonFacesRequestServlet.
I read the example in
http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/InvokingJsfPagesWithStandardUrls.  At
the point where it says "put your initialization stuff here" it shows
using either a VariableResolver (VR) or a ValueBinding (VB) to
retrieve a backing bean.  I tried both approaches in the
invokeApplication() method of NonFacesRequestServlet.

What I found is that using MyFaces, neither of these approaches work.
Using RI, the VR approach works, but the VB approach doesn't.

I don't have the resulting stack trace right now, but I do remember
that MyFaces ends in a NoSuchMethodError.

My question is, is it supposed to work?

Because if you say yes, that means I'm doing something wrong.  If so,
I'll share the entire WAR (or just the service() method I wrote) later
today and ask for further help finding the problem.

If you say it's not supposed to work, then is there another way to get
to a managed bean in this situation?

thanks,
Hubert

ps.
Add'l info:

* The call to NonFacesRequestServlet is the first request in the
application, made directly after server startup.
* I used the Tobago NonFacesRequestServlet as starting point.
* In the invokeAppication() method, I tried using both VB and VR to
retrieve a properly configured backing bean.
* Switching jars from MyFaces to RI allows the VR approach to work.
* The VB approach fails in both implementations.