List:       myfaces-user
Subject:    RE: struts-faces mailing list
From:       "Boyce, Keith Garry" <KeithGarry.Boyce () bcbsma ! com>
Date:       2005-04-29 22:05:18

Try http://forum.springframework.org/viewtopic.php?t=4950

And specifically

 http://www.thoughtsabout.net/blog/archives/000033.html

It may help...

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Decker [mailto:rob@objectsource.org]
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 5:01 PM
To: MyFaces Discussion

I have an existing app written with struts actions and JSTL in jsp. I
just want to add the tree component so people can browse my data. I
tried to convert the whole app to JSF but it is taking too long.

There are just too many bugs/inconsistencies to figure out. It took me
two weeks to write the original struts app. I spent a month trying to
convert it to JSF and it looks like I'll spend another month at least if
I continue on that route. I don't even know if it will work unless I
write all the components to fit what I need. I have a client to deliver
to. The UI is only a small part of my application for now.

Another thing is that I don't want to lose bookmarks. It's actually
something my client wants and I had to write the struts app so I could
bookmark any particular item being shown. Integrating the tree component
for browsing with the existing struts app would actually work out much
nicer for me in that respect.

From a JSF perspective I just need the tree to display, open and close
and only load the nodes that are visible, which is what I have now.
Everything in the facets shown can link back out to the struts parts of
the app.

I've actually got the tree showing up correctly on the page, even with
call it with the .do struts naming. I just need to figure out how to get
it realize it needs to deal with the tree when .faces is the extension
and struts actions when .do is.

If I could do that I can have the <f:view> in the middle of my jsp page
with the tree and the rest of my jsp working in struts mode all around
it.

When I goto mypage.do it loads fine, shows the tree, shows my
struts/jstl jsp stuff.
When I click a tree node it tries to go to Mypage.faces and blows up on
tag.getAsString I guess because faces is now trying to parse the page.
But if I go back to mypage.do, the node I clicked is now opened. So it
works, I just have to get it to go to mypage.do instead of Mypage.faces
when I click a node and make sure all the facet links go back out to
mypage.do, that last being the easy part.

--
Rob

@objectsource.org