List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: bounce-message command ignores sendmail -f <address>
From:       furio ercolessi <furio+mu () spin ! it>
Date:       2001-03-19 12:48:48

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 04:49:46PM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> Jeremy Blosser proclaimed on mutt-users that:
>
> > He said he had 1.2.5, as did his User-Agent header. :)
>
> Woops - till recently (at least, from assorted posts in the spam-l list) he had
> an 1.0 version

You people really examine headers too much  :)
I just upgraded, and I take the occasion to fix things ... otherwise mutt
is so transparent and obvious to me that I barely notice its existence.

> > However, reverse_name only works for mail actually addressed to one of the
> > addresses in your alternates... if it's coming to you via a mailing list,

I tried alternates (which I use), reverse_name and envelope_from but
they do not change the from envelope of bounced messages.
On the other hand, setting the sendmail variable with the -f option
now seems to work.  I am puzzled, because I reported that it does not
work in my original post, but I was wrong.
I said that it does not work because I bounced a mail to a list server
using -f ALIAS, and the list server (Request Tracker, Suresh will guess
the recipient!) replied to my true address rather than to ALIAS.

But thinking about it, this list server probably used the Resent-From:
field rather then the envelope to figure out the sender.  That was the
only place containing my Unix username.

So my original question should probably be turned into:
- how do I change Resent-From: in bounced mail, so that mail appears
  to be resent from the address that I configured as From: (using my_hdr)
  and in envelope (using sendmail -f), rather then from my Unix
  username?
  Defining Resent-From: with my_hdr seems to be a no-no ;)

Thanks for the patience..

furio ercolessi
Spin