List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: Line endings in encrypted messages
From:       Christian Bell <io () onepost ! net>
Date:       2001-01-30 0:06:28

Hi Brian,

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Brian Galbraith wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> When I receive encrypted messages from two friends who use the Becky!
> mailer...all the line breaks are denoted by the symbols ^M.
> When I reply to or make a decrypted copy to a mail folder these
> symbols disappear.
> Can anyone shed any light on this behaviour.

	I'm unaware of what Becky is but it's most probably a windows mailer.
Windows/dos uses a CRLF end-of-line convention while unix settles for LF.
Becky is probably encrypting your mail to a file and inserting it back to
the mailer. . upon reception on your unix mail reader/editor. . CR's appear
as ^M.

	Removing them would have to use some filtering through dos2unix/sed/
perl. Ie:

	perl -e 's/\015$//'

//chris

--
|Christian Bell
|                                                  `finger -l c_bell@
|BSD, C, perl, crypto, security.                irs.ece.concordia.ca`
|Key fingerprint = FD52 A9E2 D9ED BE5E 1FE8  FB70 5B06 81BD BE0F 1621

"science is like sex: sometimes something useful comes out, but that is not the reason we are doing it"
 --richard feynman