List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: Searching in multiple mailboxes
From:       "Jack McKinney" <jackmc-mutt () lorentz ! com>
Date:       2000-10-23 21:01:14

Big Brother tells me that Wouter Verheijen wrote:
> There is something that would be nice to have in Mutt:
> Searching in multiple (or all) mailboxes.
> Imagine this scenario: You are looking for a specified text
> in every message you have. It is only possible to search one
> mailbox, so this might be handy.

   Not as easy as one would hope.  This could be VERY slow, depending on
how much mail you have (I currently have 192MB, AFTER compression).

   A better solution is to index your mail.  I wrote a perl/MySQL package
to handle this a while back.  It has a couple of bugs that still need to
be worked out when I get a chance:

     http://www.lorentz.com/mailindex.tar.gz

--
"Restore your inalienable human rights.       Jack McKinney
 Vote Libertarian.  http://www.lp.org         http://www.lorentz.com