List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: mutt and pgp signatures
From:       Jeremy Blosser <jblosser () firinn ! org>
Date:       2000-10-05 17:13:23

Anand Buddhdev [arb@anand.org] wrote:
> I've recently started to use GnuPG 1.0.1 with mutt 1.2i. I notice a small
> problem:
>
> 1. If I receive a message with a PGP signature attached, and view it with
> mutt, gpg claims that it's a bad signature, even if the signature is good,
> in certain circumstances. In particular, this happens if the incoming
> message has the double-dash-space signature in the message body, eg:
>
> Hi Anand
>
> blah blah blah.
>
> --
> Friend
>
> If a message is sent to me without the double-dash signature, the pgp
> signature verification succeeds. More interestingly, if the space after the
> double-dash is removed, the signature verification ALSO SUCCEEDS. Now I
> know that the convention for signatures is '-- \n', but that space somehow
> seems to be breaking gpg's ability to verify PGP signatures. Anyone have
> any idea why this might be so?

Someone else will know the details better than I do, but it has to do with
pgp/gpg matching the '-- ' as something it isn't.  This is the purpose of
things like mutt's $pgp_strict_enc variable:

### pgp_strict_enc
### Type: boolean
### Default: set
### If set, Mutt will automatically encode PGP/MIME signed messages as
### quoted-printable. Please note that unsetting this variable may lead to
### problems with non-verifyable PGP signatures, so only change this if you
### know what you are doing.

Of course, this has to be handled on the sender's end, so you may need to
tell your friends to fix their clients to handle this correctly.

--
Jeremy Blosser   |   jblosser@firinn.org   |   http://jblosser.firinn.org/