List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: set up folder-specifc send mail options
From:       Cameron Simpson <cs () cskk ! id ! au>
Date:       2020-10-29 8:45:44

On 29Oct2020 01:43, Globe Trotter via Mutt-users <mutt-users@mutt.org> wrote:
> I don't know if this is possible but I want to be able to set up
> folder-specific send-mail.
>
> So, for e-mails in the mutt and other mailing list folders, when I send e-mail, I \
> want to use this e-mail address (say sender1@email.com). For e-mails in the family \
> folder, when I send e-mail I want to use  another e-mail address (say \
> sender2@email.com). For other folders, I want to use the default work address
> (sender3@work.com), with the option of having a choice of what I use.

You want folder hooks! Here:

    http://mutt.org/doc/manual/#hooks

Note that all hooks are tred when they fire. Folder hooks fire when you
enter a folder. So suppose you have some setting you wan to tune:

    set setting=value

To do that for specific folders, with a default, you go:

    folder hook . "set setting=default_value"
    folder hook =mutt "set setting=the_mutt_value"

and so on. All the matching hooks fire. So this chooses the default
value, then overrides it if the folder is "=mutt". If you did it the
other way around the default would always fire last, undering any
per-folder settings.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs@cskk.id.au>