List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: AOL/Yahoo security changes?
From:       Remco =?utf-8?Q?R=C4=B3nders?= <remco () webconquest ! com>
Date:       2020-10-23 15:32:54

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 08:09:45PM -0600, Paul wrote in
<mailman.11787.1603073991.40933.mutt-users@mutt.org>:

>AOL and Yahoo have been warning me that there will be
>new security procedures in a couple days.
>
>I access AOL and Yahoo with IMAP/SMTP.
>
>How will this affect my (infrequent) use of these
>services with Mutt?
>
>URLs:
>https://uk.help.yahoo.com/kb/new-mail-for-desktop/SLN27791.html?impressions=true#others
>https://help.aol.com/articles/allow-apps-that-use-less-secure-sign-in#others

Hi Paul,

The URL's provided are exceptionally vague in exactly what changes. As
I do not use these services myself, I can't share any experiences with
you. That said, it does seem that these new security features are the
same or like gmail's OAUTH2 implementation. As such, you might want to
reference http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/#oauth on how to configure
this.

My guess is that you supply the third party app password as the
client_secret, and some editing of the script might be needed to get
it to work for providers other than gmail.

I am interested in hearing if this works for you and if not, what
errors, you are presented with.

Kind regards,

Remco