List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: Inline PGP Within HTML
From:       Akkana Peck <akkana () shallowsky ! com>
Date:       2020-04-27 19:46:57

> > On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 09:46:48PM -0500, David Engel wrote:
> > > I've given up politely asking people to remember to send email as
> > > either both text/html and text/plain or just text/plain when sending
> > > to me.  It's a losing battle. :(

Since I don't have to deal with PGP, increasingly I wish people
would just send HTML and dispense with the text/plain. Lynx or
similar programs work fine inside mutt for HTML mail (if there isn't
too much fancy formatting), but if there's a text/plain part, more
and more often it's blank, garbled or just unreadable because it
lacks any line breaks.

Scott Kostyshak writes:
>   If this doesn't make sense to you, please forward this request to your
>   tech team.

I wish! But the "tech team" almost never has any idea what MIME
multipart/alternative is, and any attempt to convince them that
they're sending out garbled email just results in "It looks fine
to me and nobody else has complained."

In fact, out of many complaints about such problems, I don't think
I've *ever* gotten an answer like "Oh, thanks for letting me know,
I guess I never checked the plaintext part." It's been "looks fine
to me" every. single. time. And most of the time, no matter how many
times we go back and forth I can never manage to convince them even
that a text part exists, let alone that it's worth fixing.

        ...Akkana