List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: Going GUI...er
From:       Akkana Peck <akkana () shallowsky ! com>
Date:       2020-04-05 18:19:58

Felix Finch writes:
> On 20200405, Sam Kuper wrote:
> > In the meantime, you can just reply to the message (which, after all,
> > was sent as an email):  "Thanks, I accept your invitation to the meeting
> > at 5pm PDT on 5th May 2020."
>
> Now that's an idea I hadn't considered!  I was thinking more about the calendar \
> program keeping tabs on who had accepted or not.  But you're right, no need to \
> emulate that.  Just reply to the human.

Aside from the question of how to reply to calendar invites, my
problem is seeing them in the first place. I don't get calendar
attachments often, but when I do, I never know they're there.
This happens for two reasons:

1. Mutt shows attachments at the bottom of a message, which was
reasonable in the days before everyone top-posted; but now I never
get anywhere near the end of a message, so if there's an image or
a calendar invite attached, I never find out. (For images I find out
later when people reply "Wow, amazing photo!" after I've already
deleted the original message.)

2. Calendar invites are often part of a MIME multipart/alternative:

  I     1 <no description>                      [multipa/alternativ, 7bit, 17K]
  I     2 ├─><no description>            [text/plain, quoted, iso-8859-1, 0.4K]
  I     3 ├─><no description>             [text/html, quoted, iso-8859-1, 1.0K]
  I     4 └─><no description>               [text/calendar, base64, utf-8, 15K]

Mutt sensibly shows me the text/plain part, and I never know that
there's also a calendar attachment.  It seems broken that the
calendar attachment would be part of the multipart/alternative
when clearly you want to see both the text or HTML AND the calendar,
but that's Microsoft for you (the invites have headers like
"x-ms-exchange-calendar-series-instance-id:" so I'm guessing
it's Exchange doing this).

Is there any way to configure mutt to alert me at the top of the
message if there are any text/calendar or image/* attachments
anywhere in the message, even as part of a multipart/alternative?
I feel like I miss a lot in mail messages because mutt doesn't tell
me about attachments.

        ...Akkana