List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: Repeat command or macro?
From:       Ian Zimmerman <itz () primate ! net>
Date:       2016-11-27 4:50:40

On 2016-11-27 13:04, Cameron Simpson wrote:

> Just looking at the ~m syntax:
>
>   ~m MIN-MAX  message in the range MIN to MAX
>
> had you considered simply supporting "+n" and "-n"? It seems more
> intuitive and fitting with the existing syntax.

Yes, I have.  The problem is -n is already accepted by the existing
code, with a different semantics.  (It is the same as 1-n.)

IMO the more the syntax differs from the existing ranges, the better.  I
actually started with a different pattern letter (~w and ~W) but they're
almost all taken so I didn't want to be the guy who cuts down the last
tree on the commons :-0

I'll wait for others' opinions on this crucial matter :-)