List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: Place forwarded messages in thread
From:       Gabriel Philippe <gabri.philippe () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-08-09 9:19:39

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 1:43 PM, Gabriel Philippe
<gabri.philippe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 2:15 PM, max <lists@holzgewin.de> wrote:
> > Dear Mutters,
> >
> > When I forward an email, it is simply placed in the folder where I sent
> > the email from. I use:
> > folder-hook . 'set record=^'
> >
> > I would prefer it if the forwarded message were threaded to the original
> > message. Currently I have to tag the forwarded message, move to the original
> > message and hit '&' to make the forwarded message a 'child' of the original.
> >
> > I hope that makes sense.
> >
> > Is there a setting or macro that will take care of this for me?
> >
> > Thank you in advance,
> > Max
>

> I haven't seen any answer to this question. Any idea someone?
>
> I would really appreciate such a feature (which seems to be implemented in
> Thunderbird). Almost each time I forward an e-mail, I manually attach the
> forwarded version to the thread, wich is quite annoying.
>
> --
> Gabriel

Hi,

I'm still wondering why mutt behaves differently from other MUA on
this matter. Though it is possible when forwarding to manually add a
In-Reply-To header based on the forwarded Message-ID, that's more
difficult for References, and quite annoying to do manually.

RFC822 states these headers as optional, but does not indicate whether
it should relate to replies and forwards. To my understanding, both
can apply. "The contents of this field identify previous
correspondence which this message answers."

References about other MUA:
https://bugzil.la/583587
https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/issues/4465
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Change-how-the-original-message-appears-in-replies-and-forwards-1207f4ea-f7cf-4cdf-9298-5982fa2e5e2f