List:       mutt-users
Subject:    S/MIME With Mutt
From:       Bryan Richardson <btricha () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-06-10 13:52:56

Hello-

I'm enjoying Mutt as my email client for work, and would really like
to get S/MIME working as well.

I've posted a question at superuser.com that I wanted to repost here
to see if anyone has some ideas. Thanks in advance for the help!

http://superuser.com/questions/766676/is-it-possible-to-use-self-signed-smime-certs-with-mutt

I'm trying to use a self-signed SMIME key that my company has issued
me with Mutt. However, when I try to import it with `smime_keys` I get
the following.

    Couldn't identify root certificate!
    No root and no intermediate certificates. Can't continue. at
/usr/bin/smime_keys line 708.

I'm using Mutt on OSX recently installed using Homebrew. Does anyone
know a way to force `smime_keys` to accept my self-signed certificate?
Can I add the signing certificate my company uses to some
authoritative Root CA file somewhere?

    ##########
    # UPDATE #
    ##########

OK, so I was able to get `smime_keys` to accept my self-signed
certificate by first adding my company's root CA via `smime_keys
add_root root-ca.cer`. Now, however, when I try to decrypt an
encrypted email to me Mutt asks me for my encryption certificate's
password and once I enter it I get a message saying `Could not copy
message`. When I try to send a signed or encrypted email from Mutt,
after entering in my certificate's password I get a message saying
`Can't open OpenSSL subprocess!: No such file or directory (errno =
2)`.

Some additional info - when I run Mutt in debug mode `mutt -d 3` and
try to decrypt an encrypted email to me, I see the following in
`.muttdebug0`.

    Failed on attachment of type application/pkcs7-mime.
    Bailing on attachment of type application/pkcs7-mime.
    Could not copy message

Any ideas?