List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: Sending GPG signed/encrypted messages without a passphrase
From:       Izzy <me () izzybl ! tk>
Date:       2014-01-29 2:04:44

On Tue 28, Jan (14) 11:44, Marco Paolone wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 08:31:33AM +0100, Izzy wrote:
> > Hi, everyone.
> >
> > I would like to know if it's possible to get rid of the "Enter PGP
> > passphrase:" dialog when sending signed/encrypted emails. The thing is
> > that use a GPG key _without_ a passphrase; nevertheless, mutt asks for
> > it every time, and I have to press the Enter key in order to send the
> > email. By the way, I source the file provided in the "contrib" directory
> > (gpg.rc).
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> Hi,
> depending on mutt installed version you could set this parameter [1] in
> mutt configuration file:
>
> [1] http://dev.mutt.org/doc/manual.html#pgp-use-gpg-agent
>
> and fire up gpg-agent within your session.
>
> Let me know if this works.
>
> --
> Linux Registered User #401479
> GPG: 0x897AF14E

Thank you for answering.

I use the version from the repos, in Arch Linux.

I'm familiar with gpg-agent, but I really have no need to use it, as I
mentioned before, my key has no passphrase (in this particular box,
anyway). When I use GPG, let's say:

     $ gpg -ab somefile.txt

It just creates the signature, and it doesn't prompt me for a
passphrase. I would like mutt to do the same, without running gpg-agent.
It's not such a big deal, but I find it a bit odd that mutt asks for my
_empty_ passphrase.