List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: mutt native SMPT support vs Postfix?
From:       Erik Christiansen <dvalin () internode ! on ! net>
Date:       2014-01-11 10:21:09

On 04.01.14 19:35, Ulrich Lauther wrote:
> Recent posts made me aware of the fact, that mutt supports SMPT.
> So far I have been using postfix for mail transport.
> Which way is better, and why?

If it's true that mutt fails if you try to send an email when off-line,
then that does seem definitive.

It is several years since I moved from sendmail to postfix as MTA, and I
found the postfix ML very helpful for one or two initial issues. (I'd
rather ask most email questions there than on an MUA ML.)
After doing it for more than a quarter of a century, I can't see any
reason not to run an MTA locally.

As for incoming mail, I use fetchmail and procmail, so that mutt only
handles a dozen delivery mailboxes and a bit over a thousand mailboxes
of sorted mail.

Erik

--
You can't have everything.  Where would you put it?
                                    - Steven Wright