List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: dev.mutt.org is unreachable (again)
From:       Brendan Cully <brendan () kublai ! com>
Date:       2013-07-11 17:52:16

On Thursday, 11 July 2013 at 09:50, jack@forallx.net wrote:
> Is anyone else unable to reach dev.mutt.org?  Multiple browsers
> eventually timeout when I try to go there.  For instance, Safari says
> "the server unexpectedly dropped the connection".  Lynx says "HTTP
> request sent; waiting for response" forever and then drops it with
> "Unexpected network read error; connection aborted".
>
> This seems to happen around once a month.

The VM doesn't have a lot of memory. If something spiders the hg web
interface (in spite of the fact that it's forbidden in robots.txt), it
can OOM the VM and cause all kinds of havoc. This appears to be what
happened yesterday. I've banned the misbehaving IPs and allocated more
memory to the VM.

> I wonder if the cause is the same as whatever is causing repo cloning
> and downloading of nightlies to often hang in the middle of the
> operation, fixable only by canceling the download (or clone) and trying
> again (with fingers crossed).  This happens most frequently with
> cloning, FWIW, and has been occurring for years.

Possibly? I've never personally experienced it. It's also possible
that you're talking over IPv6 and something on that path is flaky.