List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: Convert gmail addresses into aliases file
From:       Jeremy Kitchen <kitchen () kitchen ! io>
Date:       2012-08-31 17:43:28

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 01:13:23PM +0200, mimosinnet wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I am working on having my contacts in gmail converted into a mutt alias
> file (this is because I am using an android phone). I am not sure if
> there is a similar project going on. In any case, this is my first
> version of it. Any comments appreciated. Cheers!

Do you really want them as an alias file? You might want to look into
lbdb.

I, personally, reserve my aliases file for addresses I'm going to type
a lot, so I can just type 'boss' if I'm emailing my boss, or whatever.
For my company address book integration (on my work machine) and my
personal address book, I'm going to be using lbdb along with
$query_command to provide access to a more complete address book.

If you do go the route your email describes, might I recommend that you
keep your $alias_file separate from this generated one so you don't
clobber your changes when the script runs.

Otherwise, great job! You should put this on github or similar so people
searching for something like this later will be able to find it easily!

-Jeremy