List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: Privacy considerations when using mutt
From:       chombee <chombee () lavabit ! com>
Date:       2010-05-12 0:57:43

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 07:33:43PM -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> So you're worried about the safety of deleted files? Disk encryption
> may not guarantee that the message is never stored in memory (and thus
> potentially swapped to disk) un-encrypted, so you definitely need
> encrypted swap space.

Actually now that you've pointed that out I'm not bothered about deleted
files. It's obvious that only full disk encryption will take care of
them. So for now I'm just interested in keeping all files that mutt
leaves behind encrypted.

> You can control where mutt puts its temp files (with $TMPDIR,
> according to the man page), so you can ensure that those are placed
> somewhere "safe".

Thanks for that. I wonder if config files, header and body caches, and
tmpdir covers it then? I guess this might be something that would need
to be asked on the dev list.