List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: Subfolders
From:       Charles Howard <incubando () hotmail ! co ! uk>
Date:       2009-10-30 23:51:37

 <4AEA1796.5000201@gmail.com>

> Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 18:30:46 -0400
> From: pgenpaul@gmail.com
> Subject: Re: Subfolders
> To: mutt-users@mutt.org
>

> I'm still not 100% sure about what you mean by "subfolders" or "nested
> folders", but I have a feeling my initial impression was correct.

> Not sure if that's what you were missing but I certainly didn't find it
> obvious when I switched to mutt a few years ago.
>
> Gen-Paul.

That's a lot of very useful info Gen-Paul. I didn't know that trick with Tab. Excellent.

I use Maildir which does make a difference.

The mailer that's in the back of my mind is pine (c.2007). I don't like mice.

I've now got a setup which seems to be working. I'll describe it in case it helps someone
in the future. It's not quite what you suggested.

I have an overall plain dir ~/OVERMAIL

Inside this I have a dozen or so plain dirs, like

~/OVERMAIL/0DEFAULT
~/OVERMAIL/DEPT
~/OVERMAIL/ABROAD
~/OVERMAIL/COLLEAGUES
~/OVERMAIL/PERSONAL
~/OVERMAIL/Drafts
~/OVERMAIL/Outbound-copy

The last two are Maildirs. Each of the rest has inside it two Maildirs:

~/OVERMAIL/0DEFAULT/ACTIVE
~/OVERMAIL/0DEFAULT/PROCESSED

The ACTIVE Maildirs in most cases receives mail from procmail.

I still notice whether mail is `old' or `read' but I often have
to go back to one email several times before finishing with it
and I leave it in ACTIVE until I've finished, at which point I
manually shift it to PROCESSED.

This seems to be working well for me so far. I move around the tree
just with arrow keys and enter. Procmail and mairix are happy. So am I.

I've benefited a lot from all the help - thanks to everyone who wrote.

Chas