List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: Sorting messages by score AND keeping threading - is it
From:       David Champion <dgc () uchicago ! edu>
Date:       2008-05-31 4:14:07

> Question: Is it possible to maintain the following threading whilst viewing
>           messages in "sorted by score" mode ?
>
> folder-hook . \
>              "set sort=reverse-threads ;\
>               set sort_aux=last-date-received ;\
>               set duplicate_threads=yes ;\

Not really.  Mutt's threading is implemented as a sorting mechanism
rather than some other layer, and unfortunately mutt is coded in
multiple places to honor only two sort functions.

Daniel Eisenbud did the last major overhaul of mutt's threading code.
Shortly after he finished it he proposed taking a further step of either
separating threading out from sorting, or permitting more than two sort
functions.  I gather there wasn't very much interest from people with
substantial use cases.  I think perhaps the only vaguely common use case
for having two sort keys in addition to threading involves scoring, and
I'm not too sure that very many people actually use scoring.

You might approximate this if you can find a way to mix
(last-)date-received into score, but whether that's feasible depends on
your mailboxes and your habits.

--
 -D.    dgc@uchicago.edu    NSIT    University of Chicago