List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: how to view inline html as text?
From:       Gary Johnson <garyjohn () spk ! agilent ! com>
Date:       2008-05-19 23:35:39

On 2008-05-19, Gary Funck <gary@intrepid.com> wrote:
> On 05/19/08 15:04:04, Gary Johnson wrote:
> > > What sort of mutt magic do I need to add that will
> > > cause this inline HTML message to be converted,
> > > and displayed as text?
> >
> > You need to have this line in your muttrc:
> >
> >    auto_view text/html
>
> Gary, thanks.  Interestingly, although auto_view
> is described in the docs:
> http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-5.html#ss5.4
> it isn't listed in the /etc/Muttrc file.
>
> I stumbled onto this setting:
>
> # set implicit_autoview=no
> #
> # Name: implicit_autoview
> # Type: boolean
> # Default: no
> #
> #
> # If set to ``yes'', mutt will look for a a mailcap entry with the
> # copiousoutput flag set for every MIME attachment it doesn't have
> # an internal viewer defined for.  If such an entry is found, mutt will
> # use the viewer defined in that entry to convert the body part to text
> # form.
>
> If I set implicit_autoview=yes, it seems to do
> the expected thing.  Is one method recommended
> over the other?

In most cases, it probably makes more sense to use implicit_autoview.
Otherwise, you have to use auto_view to tell mutt about every
content-type for which your mailcap file has an in-line viewing
rule.  That seems like an unnecessary duplication of information.

The only situation I can think of in which you might want to use
auto_view instead would be, as the mutt manual suggests, where you
want to add or remove content-types from the autoview list at run
time, perhaps because certain large attachments might take a long
time to convert to text.

Regards,
Gary