List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: Installing mutt 1.5.14 problem
From:       Rado S <regrado () web ! de>
Date:       2007-03-19 11:01:44

=- Przemyslaw Gawronski wrote on Sun 18.Mar'07 at  8:30:50 +0100 -=

> I've compiled mutt 1.5.14 (--prefix=$HOME --with-imap) and that went
> with no problems. But I can't install it as a regular user but only as
> root :( If I configure it with --prefix=$HOME I would expect to be able
> to install it in my home directory or am I thinking wrong?

It was discussed on mutt-dev (see its archives) to fix
installation for certain conditions, maybe it applies to you, too,
and just hasn't been implemented yet.

Typically the problem is that mutt_dotlock needs chgrp "mail" +
chmod sgid, which fails for non-root. After you "configur"ed,
edit your Makefile and prepend ':' in front of those 2 cmds for
mutt_dotlock.