List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: Aborted unmodified message.
From:       George <d1945 () sbcglobal ! net>
Date:       2006-10-06 16:43:25

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 09:30:38AM +0000, TALEB Hakim wrote:
> * Quoting Gary Johnson <garyjohn@spk.agilent.com> [2006-10-02, 14:53 -0700]:
> > Sorry for the long delay in responding.  I was away on vacation for
> > a week.
>
> I hope you spent good time.
>
> > So how did the recompiling of mutt on Cygwin go?  It sounds like
> > that didn't help, but I can't tell if there was a problem with the
> > compilation or with the binary.  If you are going to run mutt in a
> > Cygwin environment, you might try just downloading Cygwin's mutt
> > package.
>
> It works quite fine but unfortunately the lastest maintained package
> of mutt for Cygwin is mutt-1.4.1-2.

You don't need to use the maintained package.  If you have Cygwin
installed, download the source yourself and compile it as you would any
other program.  Mutt, muttng, etc. all compile out of the box.

At the risk of getting off topic I'll add that I've found that using
Windows ports of *nix programs is problematic at best.  You can expect
issues with, among other things, environmental variables, paths (spaces,
backslash/forward slash nonsense), permissions, and line-endings, not to
mention the limited choices and a complete absence of support or a
distribution infrastructure.  Then, there's the absence of a terminal.
Fixing that mess with a neglible speed trade-off is a bargain by any
standard.

My advice, if you're going to go down this route is to use Cygwin.  You
can start with rxvt for your terminal, pick your favourite shell and text
editor, add in ssh, and proceed from there; everything else you'd need
on a daily basis is most likely part of the base installation so no
hunting around for one-off utilities.

I've been stuck with Windows because of a work relationship (thankfully
coming to a close soon), but using mutt (or vim, or whatever else) on a
Windows system without Cygwin would be out of the question.

--
George