List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: Receivers can't get the attachment of msword doc files
From:       Alain Bench <messtic () oreka ! com>
Date:       2005-11-17 18:06:55

Hello,

 On Thursday, November 17, 2005 at 9:10:13 +0800, phyrster wrote:

> receivers called me later saying that there is no attachment in the
> message

    What mailer do they use? Sometimes Outlook and Outlook Express
recipients do see the attachment, but under dumbed down name like
ATT00001.DAT, instead of the nice Chinese.doc name Mutt sent. And of
course the icon of the attachment is different for .DAT than for .doc

> So what's wrong with attachments in Chinese names?

    Nothing wrong in Mutt nor your procedures. But some mailers don't
follow the standards, and require another *illegal* encoding. Check if
patch-1.5.11.tt.create_rfc2047_params.1 and $create_rfc2047_params=yes
helps.

> But when I want to resend the message by pressing <ESC> e , the name
> of the file becomes something like ____________________.doc and the
> chinese characters are invisible.

    In compose screen? Yes: I see those underscores.doc too in
Mutt 1.5.11, and 1.4 also. Whatever encoding: Correct 2231, and illegal
2047. Only Ascii chars survive. You've put the finger on a new Mutt bug,
it seems.

Bye!	Alain.
--
Give your computer's unused idle processor cycles to a scientific goal:
The Folding@home project at <URL:http://folding.stanford.edu/>.