List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: Any way to get size/count with maildir?
From:       Chris Green <chris () areti ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-11-03 13:06:40

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 10:33:55AM -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 02:23:18PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> > The one thing I will miss when I go from mbox to maildir (which I'm
> > planning to do for ease of backing up) is an indication of folder size.
>
> I heartily agree; in fact I occasionally  make the point on mutt-dev
> that -- from the user's perspective -- mbox and maildir should
> function identically (albeit with somewhat different performance of
> various operations, which is unavoidable).  The information displayed
> to the user should be identical regardless of format, and the
> difference in feature set should be nil.  The user should not need to
> consider the storage format to get the desired feature set (excepting
> cases where the format makes something technically impossible, which
> is rare), nor should the user need to know or care about the storage
> format at all, until and unless performance becomes an issue for them.

Another thing that's annoying with maildir, save_empty doesn't remove
empty mailboxes when set to "no".  This is a real pain when reorganising,
you have to move the mail messages and then navigate to the empty
directories in the shell and remove them manually.  With mbox it's done
for you.

--
Chris Green (chris@areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."