List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: Two beginner problems - formail and bogofilter
From:       Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt () memoryhole ! net>
Date:       2005-11-02 19:21:59

On Wednesday, November  2 at 01:48 PM, quoth Carthik Sharma:
>>> I tried unsuccessfully to tag all the messages and try to do an "H"
>>> on tagged messages - what is the right way of invoking a macro on
>>> all tagged messages?
>>
>> By default? It's the ; key. You may also be interested in the auto_tag
>> preference (set auto_tag).
>>

> If I tag 5 messages and then do a ";" and then do a "H" , it only
> re-processes (Applies the macro) on the last message (currently
> highlighted message). So it appears that macros are only working for
> one message at a time, not a group of tagged messages, which is my
> problem.

Ah, sorry, my thinko -- macros aren't real commands like other mutt
commands are. They're shortcuts for what you would like mutt to do.
There are many reasons for this, but one obvious one that comes to mind
is fairly straightforward: macros can modify themselves in the act of
running!

So, in order to perform what you want on several commands, you're going
to have to structure your macro a little differently, I think. Now, I've
never done this before, but here's a stab at it:

macro index H "<enter-command>unset
wait_key<enter><tag-prefix><pipe-entry>bogofilter -Sn -l
&<enter><tag-prefix><pipe-entry>formail -I X-Bogosity|procmail
&<enter><enter-command>set wait_key<enter><delete-message>" "Unmark as
spam, mark as non-spam and refilter to correct mailbox"

That and, like Ian said, you're *probably* going to want to set
pipe_split to "yes", so that each message gets piped separately.

> I have received 438 spam emails and around 200 regular non-spam emails
> by now, and yet bogofilter is "unsure" about (mostly) non-spam emails,
> and sure that some spam emails are not spam! Is this normal?

HEH.

According to the Bogofilter FAQ: http://bogofilter.sourceforge.net/faq.shtml#unsure

It looks like unless you configure a ham_cutoff and a spam_cutoff (which
is not configured by default), bogofilter will *always* be "unsure".

~Kyle
--
It is easier to be critical than to be correct.
                                                    -- Benjamin Disraeli